Sunday, November 24, 2013

This morning I was grateful for lists.  Things went in directions I had not planned all week, and 80 loaves of bread had to be baked today.  The list represents the ease of doing it all when there was not enough time to think about it.  The list represents many memories of times we made this bread with Girl Scouts, all we learned each time, and all we can do.  The list represents a way I can support these girls and help other girls learn that they can help.  The list represents ways our girls committed to making a difference with their own hands for others in need.  It reminds me of the time Sarah told me that if we did not make it ourselves, it really was not giving of ourselves. It reminds me of Rebecca learning to lead others and push me out of the kitchen.  This list is five years of bread baking for others, with my own girls and my Girl Scouts, of watching them grow in grace and love, of helping not only the church that puts together these Thanksgiving meals, not only the people who receive the food, but the souls of the girls in our group and of the girls we include each year to teach that their hands are never too small to help.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be with these girls, their mothers, these memories.  And I am so grateful to the list that makes it possible to get it all done because the list holds all the practical experience necessary to have the spiritual experiences.  And the smell in my car of 80 loaves of spiced pumpkin bread will linger for a few days.  For the video made by our once much larger troop about this project five years ago, see http://www.spreadthebread.org/bakeadifference.html

And one more thing, this list provoked memories of a friend who talked about all her lists for the holidays.  I love layered memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment