Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Dr Who

Today's small gratitude:  Getting to the grocery stores early for easy parking spaces I can get back out of! 

Yesterday's:  Going to see Dr. Who in 3D with our kids and four others.  I enjoyed Dr. Who at some point in my teens (I think that was when!).  My kids and many others are now hooked and have been looking forward to this Fiftieth Anniversary special for months.  It was extraordinary.  There were so many great inside jokes, history of the series, special effects, surprise appearances.  But most of all, it was a wonderful conversation among the past, present, and future.  About when you see no way out of doing something awful.  Of how people deal with what they have done and what they have become.  About identity and memory.  About morality.  About friendship.  About facing yourself.  About challenges.  It was moving, memorable, a great romping story, and I am so grateful to think that this story, as it unfolded in all its nuances and delicacy, will be part of the formation of my children and so many others.  One of the central items is "the moment" which is a machine with a conscience and the conscience is beautifully and brilliantly played.  The dear friend is also brilliantly played.

It was also great fun to be there with a full theater, laughing, cheering and crying.  And when the lights came up, child number 2 turned to child number 1 and said: "Rebecca, Mom is crying again."  And Rebecca patted me on the head and said "Oh mom!"  then quietly,  "it's OK.  This is the third time I saw it and the third time I cried too."

I am grateful to the writers, the director, the actors, and the kids who have kept this alive and shared it with me last night.  And to the kids who came dressed as a Doctor or a Tardis or a companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment