Thursday, November 28, 2013

I am grateful this morning for my grandmother, who is far away and aging.  She has been the solid love in my life since baby years. 

I am grateful for cooking with my husband yesterday and sharing 19 years of holidays.

I am grateful for our eldest who asks how she will handle Thanksgiving when she has her own house and is satisfied with well, you will always come home and then I will teach your kids and you can go to their house.  And grateful for watching her make the pies last night.

I am thankful for the care with which our middle daughter is driving and for her playing with her brother yesterday.

I am thankful for the silly game our son and I play where we try to give each other raspberries.

I am thankful that we have time and freedom for church this morning to say thank you in community and to remember the creator and redeemer of all.

I am thankful for old friends coming to dinner and some new folks to share the day with.

I am thankful for several days of no alarm clock and time together.

I am thankful for the quiet house and coffee this morning.

I am thankful for Facebook, where I can share photos and stories with friends and family -- smiles and sorrows.

I am thankful that Thanksgiving is layered with memories of meals with family and friends, of stories about things that went well and not so well, of funny moments and bittersweet moments.  That we buy rolls knowing there is a 50% chance they will burn in the oven, because that is part of the ritual too. That we have jokes about the pies.  That we look forward to Mama Stamburgh's cranberry sauce, because Susan Stamburgh's family story has become one of our stories.  That our kids miss their "god-cousin" who is in Canada for college.

No comments:

Post a Comment